The Department of Surgery at The University of North Carolina is seeking applications for a full-time academic pediatric surgeon at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor to join our Division of Pediatric Surgery. The Division of Pediatric Surgery is among 9 clinical Divisions in the Department of Surgery. The Division currently includes 4 faculty members that provide a broad array of clinical services in order to provide the highest quality care for injured and critically ill pediatric patients. Academic appointment will be at the rank commensurate with the candidate’s experience.
The applicant must be Board Certified or Board eligible in General and Pediatric Surgery. Faculty members within the Division of Pediatric Surgery must possess a desire to commit to all three mission of the department and school of medicine, including the clinical, education, and research missions. Regarding the education mission, faculty members are expected to regularly participate in the education of medical students and residents. Additionally, Peds Surgery faculty participate in outreach to our many rural referring hospitals. Regarding the research mission, a commitment to any one of a broad array of research interests is desirable, including but not limited to clinical, outcomes, health services, basic science, translational, ethics, education, or global surgery research. Regarding the clinical mission, faculty members must be committed to delivering high quality clinical care that is of value to the patients of UNC. Selected candidate must be team-oriented and have the ability to interact well with colleagues inside and out of the Division.
Education/Qualifications: Prospective candidates must be Board Certified/Board eligible in General Surgery with Pediatric certification. Chosen candidates must either have a current North Carolina Medical License or be eligible for application.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.
Internal Number: FAC0002117
About UNC Department of Surgery
The mission of the Department of Surgery is based on the Mission Statement of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the Mission Statement of the School of Medicine. These principles guide the governance and priorities of the Department as follows:
- To efficiently provide high quality quaternary, tertiary, secondary and primary care to the people of North Carolina;
- To serve as a surgical referral center for patients from throughout the United States and worldwide;
- To maintain an internal governance system by which exemplary academic standards, clinical practice excellence, research
excellence, high teaching standards, optimal financial and operational management, and effective human resource
development are assured;
- To educate medical school undergraduates, residents and fellows in the surgical specialties and subspecialties;
- To advance scholarly research and clinical investigation in the health sciences; and
- To provide community service throughout the state:
- by active participation in the Area Health Education Centers (AHEC)
- through public education
- through interaction with community agencies and providers
- through burn prevention programs and legislative initiatives
- and by serving as a referral and information center for patients, and their primary physicians, in need of the highest-
level of surgical and diagnostic service